The Clifton is a pub with heaps of history, a real branding and design gold mine for inspiration. Needless to say were very excited to have the opportunity to revive it to it’s former glory.
Having been closed for 5 years where it came scarily close to being turned into residential flats the premises was finally granted permission to re-open again as the public house it was once was.
Back in 1889 King Edward VII needed a premises to entertain female acquaintances and as a result he decided to open The Clifton as a useful cover up for his mischievous behaviours.
Our inspiration for the branding came from King Edwards love of hunting birds and vintage match box illustrations. Coupled with a bespoke hand lettering type the identity is a contemporary take on a classic design style.
A key part of the brief that both the drinking and dining sides to the business were to be treated in equal measures and we wanted to show this visually within the brand identity and assets. As a result we design a logo featuring two birds which when separated from the main identity become representative of the ‘Eating House’ and ‘Drinking House’.